Welcome!

Welcome TRIUMPH Fans!

Come rest at Harborlily Creative - an oasis for travelers on this journey called life. This is a place to be refreshed, renewed and inspired. A CREATIVE and cathartic zone promoting inspiration and creativity in others.

Click here to "Like" us on facebook!


Thursday, March 2, 2017

Tooth From Down Under


  In my family, trips to the dentist typically happen in groups of two kids.  I generally sign them both in and spend the appointment hour running the hall between two rooms.  I pen my initials next to "No Change" and settle one child in the electric exam chair so the dental hygienist can start the cleaning.  Then I find the other child and together, we giggle at the same cardboard tooth poster that's hung on the wall for the last decade until their assigned hygienist needs my initials etc. 

  The last visit went just like this until the tech said, "we have a problem."  I actually nodded my head and laughed thinking she was pulling my leg.  I've never heard those words spoken of my 12 year-old son, Sam.  Fortunately for him, he'd inherited very strong, straight teeth.  But, it was her latex-gloved finger pointing to the panoramic x-ray that brought levity to the situation.  Quickly, she explained that Sam's lower left canine tooth had tilted completely on it's side til it was horizontal and then migrated all the way under his lower front teeth, until it was preventing the right canine tooth from coming up. 

  I was stunned.  We had been waiting for the right canine gap to fill in ever since he'd lost his baby
tooth years ago.  It wasn't long before the Dentist came in the room and exclaimed, "Wow!  That's one for the books!  His tooth has gone on a walk-about!".  I still giggle thinking of that line- good one Doc!

  Well that tooth and my son continued their walk-about from the dentist to the orthodontist and up the road to the oral surgeon.  This was to be a pretty involved procedure that would require the removal be done in a surgery center with anesthesia.  The danger was in the proximity to facial nerves.  There was risk of permanent numbness, tingling, and paralysis.  Yet to leave it in posed a threat as well.  We were told because of the tooth's position laying sideways under the other teeth, that if Sam were to take an elbow to the chin while playing a sport, his jaw could break.  We needed that tooth to be outta there. 

  What started as a trip to the dentist for a cleaning turned into a surgical procedure that ended up successful and safe.   Our son did great, anesthesia and all.  He definitely was loopy--our personal favorite moment was when he was just waking up post surgery.  Clearly out of it, he asked if it was over and we answered yes, stroked his hair, and told him he was fine.  Then, in a completely unexpected turn of emotion he whispered, "I'm gonna miss that tooth," and promptly burst into tears.  I laughed then cried right along my son.  At least he had a chemical reason to be emotional.  I had no excuse except I love my son and when he hurts, I hurt. 

  All's well that ends well.  Sam gained a fuzzy, stuffed ducky he named "Quackers," and all the ice cream, Popsicles, pudding, jello, and soft drinks he could ingest.  His smile was huge as we checked our sweet bounty out at the grocery store...but his poor swollen chin was so sore he could not enjoy the treats we rarely buy.  He's much better these days and we regularly check the right canine "gap" to ensure that poor tooth has indeed been set free.  If not, it's back to the orthodontist to help it along on it's very own walk-about.


No comments:

Post a Comment