Welcome!

Welcome TRIUMPH Fans!

Come rest at Harborlily Creative - an oasis for travelers on this journey called life. This is a place to be refreshed, renewed and inspired. A CREATIVE and cathartic zone promoting inspiration and creativity in others.

Click here to "Like" us on facebook!


Sunday, February 26, 2017

Breathe and Pray


  I love hair appointment days that go as planned!  My Mother-In-Law was even able to help get the kids on the bus so I could squeeze in an early appointment.  I was able to get highlighted, beautified, AND stop in at Sally's Beauty supply store for intense conditioner.  What is this thing called free time?  In my world it is what happens when a professor falls ill and has to cancel class.  This was the euphoria I was in when an automated message called from the school of my older two children.  The mechanical voice let me know reports of a shooting threat against the school had been posted on social media then reassured me all was under control and police were handling the details.  Within a minute my phone buzzed with the arrival of automated texts generated to let my eyes read what my ears just heard.  I hate this.  This was not the first time these poor kids had to deal with fear of such possibilities.  I wish technology had invented a way to inject some human warmth and compassion into the computerized calling system.  I'd even settle for a robotic, "There, there Ma--ma...ev-er-y-thing will be just fine.," when receiving notice of a threat against my loved ones.

I took a deep breath in time to hear my phone ring again, this time it's a different school in the same district calling and I anxiously answer.  It was the school nurse calling to tell me my elementary aged son can't breathe.  It was the last thing I expected to hear.  It took me a second to shift from the worry of the automated call I had just hung up with and place this call in context.  I had an "A-ha moment, and asked if she was sure he wasn't feeling a bit of anxiety since he was expected to give his book report about Albert Einstein in front of the class...dressed as Albert Einstein.  I heard her muffled giggle then her query to my son.  "No," she responded, "he's saying that's not it." 

  This being  the second time he'd been to the nurse in two days raised my suspicion.  To be fair, the first visit was due to a stoved pinky finger that he insisted was broken.  Well, since I had her on the phone I figured I better check on the pinky status. 

  I am the one who asked...but really? A pulmanologist and an x-ray visit are needed?  Now I can't
breathe.  I'm not begrudging my son care, honestly, just trying to mentally envision penciling the doctor visits alongside the other mounting appointments.  Somehow we'll figure it out.  I continue to ensure my son is stable as we work out a game plan if the situation worsens.  "Yes," I confirm, "I am back in school.  Uh- huh,  I do have school today but my professor canceled my afternoon class...yes, but a group project has been scheduled into the canceled class time slot.  Still- call me if you need me."  With that, I hang up and head out of Sally's Beauty Supply parking lot to meet up with my assigned group for our video production project.  What a surreal transition.

  I get to class and roll a chair over to the group right as my eldest son calls me from college.  I had forgotten to silence my phone- and I'm glad.  I head out of the room to ensure this son is ok and tell him I'll call after class.  Heading back in, I glance down and notice the texts from my daughter. She's filling me in on how scary it was to be at the threatened school and letting me know the rumors that were floating around: a loaded gun found in a locker as well as an arrest having been made.  I am so grateful she has a phone (a hard fought battle on her end) and I can comfort her with reassurance and heart  emojis.


How do I shift into the mode of helping create a script for a video project in the midst of this?  Prayer and the reminder to just breathe. Thankfully, the next automated text received from the threatened school was informing us that it was a non-substantiated threat and classes would resume as normal in the morning.  Whew!!

  The scripting went fine.  What surprised me was yet another phone call that came in as I was walking to my car to head home.  It was the elementary school nurse telling me my son was back in her office...again.  He was fine but complaining of some chest discomfort.  At this point I can really relate.  We chatted, I thanked her for her suggestion of a good allergist who deals with pulmonary issues, and we agreed to touch base soon.

  I think my favorite part of this day, besides actually making my hair appointment, was the moment after I called my Mom when she asked, "So, how was your day?"...  

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment