Welcome!

Welcome TRIUMPH Fans!

Come rest at Harborlily Creative - an oasis for travelers on this journey called life. This is a place to be refreshed, renewed and inspired. A CREATIVE and cathartic zone promoting inspiration and creativity in others.

Click here to "Like" us on facebook!


Monday, November 9, 2015

Trail vs. Treadmill


  The prize of walking is in the pushing on...

   I've walked a treadmill many times throughout my life.  Not saying I always disembarked when I was tired, but the possibility was there...within reach.  Temptation disguised as a big red button taunting me to "STOP," loitering within fingertips reach.  I'd think if a manufacturer is going to include a plastic, corded key to be yanked in case of EMERGENCY- they might want to issue some guidelines to the less motivated runner as to what a true emergency is.  After all, increased pulse and shortness of breath are natural results of an elevated heart rate.  Beyond actual medical concerns...I'm more thinking of mornings that inspired a brisk walk, so time was taken to don appropriate wicking gear only to have inspiration pass before Manual Mode was chosen.  Staring at the wall only goes so far when the mind begins to roll faster than the belt being tread on.  A hundred other "tasks" needing to be done speed into consciousness while the sweat that is barely beading becomes an annoyance.  Halfway through the intended 30 minute walk, the war that's been waged between determination and interest has been won and STOP comes to the rescue.  "I'll do better tomorrow" pacifies the ambitious psyche which advocated to exercise in the first place.

  Walking a trail or path offers no such safety net.  You've completed half your distance goal and motivation begins to wane...there is no STOP button.  Sure, you could sit your rear end off to the side of the path and hope some kind fitness buff, looking for a little extra resistance training, agrees to hoist your hundred and mumblemumble additional pounds over their shoulder and deposit you back from whence you came.  I'd venture a bet, which is less humbling than speaking from experience, that telling your own little "pansy" legs to carry you back to the starting point, because you didn't bring taxi fare, will get you there faster.  The prize  of walking a path or trail is in the pushing on- you got yourself there now get yourself back.  Bam!  Your walk time just doubled.

  Interesting transitions take place once you've committed to pressing forward.  The mind, which initially celebrated increased endorphins, digresses to calling you bad names while asking what you were thinking, before inevitably releasing it's death-grip focus on discomfort and finally eases into it's surroundings.   Finally submitting to the path you're on, it notices the view is decidedly more stimulating than drywall or cinder block. Mind over matter has just introduced you to a host of new sensory input.  No more same ol' same ol'.  Expanding horizons is a good thing. Take this morning's walk for example...  I never would have thought to mingle the scent of factory pollution, Fall leaves and cigar.  Nor would I have wanted to, yet that is the brilliance in allowing yourself new experiences.  I can still see the army green mittens of the fellow, out for a jaunt, surprising me as they lifted a cigar to his weathered lips before I passed that pedestrian and PUSHED ON.  A little further I looked back only to realize I could no longer see the gentleman's peaceful puffs.  However, there was a newcomer in a crisp, red jacket making gains.  My competitive streak kicked in as I thought, "the red-coats are coming, the red-coats are coming," and quickened my pace.

  Admittedly, I would have been disappointed in today's walk due to the uncharacteristic polluted scent yet I rounded the corner and the wind and vista shifted.  I was witnessing cool waters lit up with diamond like sparkles in a marsh I had forgotten was there.  Yet another prize from pushing on.  By the walks end my ambitious psyche had prevailed over my pansy legs to reward me with a sense of accomplishment, a trip away from my daily grind, and a darn good work-out--no taxi needed ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment