Welcome!

Welcome TRIUMPH Fans!

Come rest at Harborlily Creative - an oasis for travelers on this journey called life. This is a place to be refreshed, renewed and inspired. A CREATIVE and cathartic zone promoting inspiration and creativity in others.

Click here to "Like" us on facebook!


Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Somebody's Watching (by Diane Gallagher)

Guest Blogger Wednesday :) I was rushing into the new woman’s hospital to visit my niece who had just lost her baby six weeks prior to her due date.  We were devastated for them, so I wanted to express my sympathy and support – but had a limited window of time as my sister was sitting in the van with my two little ones, and she had to be at work soon.  I had never been in this new hospital and was totally unprepared for the heavy security that visitors had to go through in order to enter the facility.  There was a line at the desk where you had to show ID and have your photo taken.  Of course, I did not have my wallet on me since I had jumped out of the van quickly so I was trying to get the security officer’s attention just to determine if I really had to have my ID for this brief, solitary visit.  Unfortunately, he was too busy tending to the people in front of me to pay me any heed.  I was getting more and more anxious as I watched my allotted time ticking away, and I finally stepped out of line.  I noticed a receptionist sitting at a desk in the lobby so I rushed over to ask my question.  I was huffy and abrupt, very obviously annoyed.  When I asked if I could enter without ID, a gentleman next to the receptionist asked whom I was there to see.  When I told him, he very graciously extended his sympathy for our family’s loss and asked if I was a Toohey.  I reluctantly admitted that I was, and he proceeded to inform me of his fondness for my parents with whom he was acquainted and offered to facilitate a quick entry for me into the building.  I immediately apologized for my impatience, and he brushed it off, but internally I was mortified.  It was a humbling moment.  I suspect that if I had known the employees at the hospital or realized that they knew my family, I would have been more patient and kind in my response to the situation.  I subconsciously let my guard down simply because I thought these people were strangers, and I wasn’t accountable for my deeds.  My impatience reflected poorly on my family, myself, and God whom I claim to follow.  Where was my whole “golden rule” behavior?  “Do unto others as you would have them do to you.”  I’m not just supposed to exhibit that attitude when it is easy and convenient.  It’s supposed to be a part of my every interaction. 

I remember my sister sharing a story about a time she went to a party.  The host and hostess were upstairs in the baby’s room, gossiping about some of the guests and didn’t realize the baby monitor was on. Awkward.   Likewise, a friend of mine accidentally pocket dialed the person that she and her spouse were “venting” about at that moment.  What timing!  These incidents are good reminders of the behavior we should always be demonstrating, though.  My sister had been appalled by the baby monitor conversation and responded that none of us should ever be saying anything in private that could not be shared in public.  Yikes!  Another good lesson for me.  I don’t generally gossip but can definitely say more than I should, especially to my husband, in the name of “healthy venting” when I’m struggling with a person or situation.  The bottom line is that I shouldn’t be saying or doing anything in private or in public that would embarrass me, get me into trouble, or disappoint my Heavenly Father.  I frequently tell my children to ask themselves if they would be saying, watching, doing what they are if Jesus was standing next to them.  I guess I should apply this to my life as well.  I have a feeling I will be learning these valuable lessons until the day I die, being human and all.  Hopefully, I won’t destroy my family’s reputation in the process.J

No comments:

Post a Comment