Welcome!

Welcome TRIUMPH Fans!

Come rest at Harborlily Creative - an oasis for travelers on this journey called life. This is a place to be refreshed, renewed and inspired. A CREATIVE and cathartic zone promoting inspiration and creativity in others.

Click here to "Like" us on facebook!


Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Meatloaf Massacre (by Diane Gallagher)

It's Wednesday ... guest bolgger day. :) Diane Gallagher ... take it away ... 

"Meatloaf Massacre" ... that is what my husband called it (only after I gave him "permission" by saying that I did not  like this latest recipe myself).  It was Rachael Ray's concoction, and I love her style and cuisine so how could I go wrong?  My 12 year old son asked if I could try a different meatloaf recipe, and this one was jazzed up with some barbecue sauce and was scooped into muffin tins instead of formed into a traditional loaf.  It was supposed to be tangier and quicker to bake, but it was mushy and sort of gross looking.  Not one of my shining moments as a chef.  The downside:  a disappointing meal.  The upside:  a greater appreciation for the tried and true recipe my mother has made since I was  a tot. 
It is easy in these moments to focus on the negatives --- being discouraged that I made the effort to try something new while not bearing much fruit.  I realized, though, that life is a balance of sometimes doing what you know is going to work and other times being willing to expand your horizons and try something new.  I will stick with my Mom's meatloaf recipe in the future, but I have also discovered some new family favorites by testing some recipes:  a spicy cheeseburger soup; a melt-in-your-mouth barbecue rib sauce; rich, scrumptious brownies; and an apple pie my Grandma would be proud of.  To be perfectly honest though, I tend to stick with the familiar.  I like the comfort of knowing that what I am doing or making is going to be a success.  I do not like to fail.  But I have come to learn that it is only through having a willingness to fail that I can grow and live life to the fullest. 

Writing this blog is a good example for me.  I was so excited when Susan first asked me to be a guest blogger until the reality of writing a weekly post sank in.  Then, silly as this may sound, some panic set in:  What was I going to write about?  Who would read it?  Who was I to be sharing my ideas and thoughts when I still have so much to learn?  It was so tempting to call Susan and decline, yet I believed that this was something I truly  wanted to do and God was blessing it.  Yes, it's calling me out of my comfort zone and does create a little pressure for me each week as the deadline approaches.  Would it have been easier for me to say no?  Absolutely.  There are times we need to say "no", but there are also times we need to say "yes" and go into uncharted territory with God in the driver's seat.  So we pray, we talk with our spouses, and we hope we can be in touch with God's will as we make our daily choices.  Then we act, hoping for success but prepared for failure too.  After all, the only way we can create the most mouth watering ribs this side of the Mississippi (a little exaggeration for dramatic effect) is if we are willing to "live through" the meatloaf massacres.
  
Living It:  "What uncharted territory might God be calling you into that you've been afraid to go?"
- Feel free to post your comments to open up a discussion or share your own "Meatloaf Massacre" story. :)

****

Rib Sauce Recipe ( for 4 lbs spareribs)

1/2 cup cider vinigar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 minced garlic clove
dash cayenne pepper

* I double or triple the recipe because my husband likes to lather it on!  
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment